User License Agreement
Brightman Designs Studios (BDS) End User License Agreement for Products and Services
[Last revision: August 4, 2017]
By purchasing, downloading, installing, reinstalling or using any Brightman Designs products, including any updates (the “Software”), you agree to the terms and conditions of this End User License Agreement (“EULA”). By agreeing to this EULA, you represent that you are capable of entering into a legally binding agreement. If you are a business entity, you also represent that you are duly authorized to do business in the country or countries where you operate and that your employees, officers, representatives, and other agents accessing the software and services are duly authorized to access the software and services and to legally bind you to this EULA. In this EULA, “Software and Services” means any related SketchUp for Professionals products, Brightman Designs support, training services and website resources.
- DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT:
- a) ALL SALES ARE FINAL. FREE TRIAL LICENSES ARE AVAILABLE FOR USERS TO VERIFY THAT THE IMPORTED DATA WILL MEET THEIR NEEDS BEFORE THEY PURCHASE. THE QUALITY OF THE IMPORTED IMAGERY MAY ALSO BE PREVIEWED FREE OF CHARGE FROM THE SOFTWARE WEBSITE OR USING THE GEO-LOCATION TOOL INCLUDED WITHIN THE SOFTWARE. BDS MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT THE QUALITY OR ACCURACY OF THE IMPORTED DATA WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS.
- b) YOUR USE OF THE SOFTWARE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” BASIS AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, BDS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
- c) BDS MAKES NO WARRANTY (i) THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (ii) THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL BE ERROR-FREE OR BUG-FREE, (iii) REGARDING THE SECURITY, RELIABILITY, TIMELINESS, OR PERFORMANCE OF THE SOFTWARE, (iv) THAT ANY ERRORS IN THE SOFTWARE WILL BE CORRECTED, (v) REGARDING THE RESULTS OR OUTPUT OF THE SOFTWARE, OR (vi) THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL INTERACT WITH SOFTWARE PRODUCTS OTHER THAN THOSE (IF ANY) SPECIFIED IN THE SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS ACCOMPANYING THE SOFTWARE.
- d) ANY CONTENT OR MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED OR ACCESSED THROUGH THE USE OF THE SOFTWARE IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY USE OF SUCH CONTENT OR MATERIAL AND ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR OTHER DEVICE OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD, ACCESS OR USE OF ANY SUCH CONTENT OR MATERIAL. BDS AND ITS SUPPLIERS DO NOT WARRANT THAT ANY CONTENT WILL BE ACCURATE OR COMPLETE OR MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS
- e) NONE OF THE SOFTWARE IS INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS, EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, OR ANY OTHER SUCH ACTIVITIES IN WHICH CASE THE FAILURE OF THE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.
- f) NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM BDS OR ANY THIRD PARTY OR THROUGH THE SOFTWARE SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THIS EULA.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT BDS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, GOODWILL, USE, DATA OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSSES (EVEN IF BDS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES) RESULTING FROM: (i) THE USE OR THE INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE; (ii) THE COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; (iii) UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF YOUR TRANSMISSIONS OR DATA; OR (iv) ANY OTHER MATTER RELATING TO THE SOFTWARE. THE FOREGOING LIMITATIONS SHALL APPLY NOTWITHSTANDING A FAILURE OF ESSENTIAL PURPOSE OF ANY LIMITED REMEDY AND TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
THESE LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS APPLY WITHOUT REGARD TO WHETHER DAMAGES ARISE FROM BREACH OF CONTRACT OR WARRANTY, NEGLIGENCE OR ANY OTHER CAUSE OF ACTION. TO THE EXTENT THAT APPLICABLE LAW DOES NOT PROHIBIT SUCH EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS, IN NO EVENT WILL BDS’s TOTAL LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES AND CAUSES OF ACTION, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) OR OTHERWISE, EXCEED THE AMOUNT YOU PAID BDS FOR THE SOFTWARE.
- USE OF THE PRODUCTS; CONTENT IN THE PRODUCTS
Subject to the terms and conditions of this EULA, Brightman Designs Studios and/or its affiliates (“BDS”) gives you a limited, worldwide, non-transferable, non-assignable and non-exclusive license to download, install, reinstall and use the executable version of the Software for your internal use only.
3.1.1 Restrictions (Commercial License)
You may not, and you may not permit anyone else to:
(a) Use the Software on more computers or devices at a time than the number of licenses purchased, or use or host the Software in a virtual server environment. An additional license must be purchased for each computer or device that may use the software simultaneously. Installation and use of the Software on both personal desktop and personal laptop computers are permitted under a single license as long as they are not used simultaneously.
(b) copy, modify, adapt, translate, create a derivative work of the Software or use it for any public display or performance, except as expressly authorized in this EULA;
(c) reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or otherwise attempt to derive the source code of the Software, unless this is expressly permitted or required by law (and then only with reasonable advance notice to BDS), or unless you have been specifically told that you may do so by BDS, in writing;
(d) assign (or grant a sublicense of) your rights to use the Software, grant a security interest in or over your rights to use the Software, or otherwise transfer any part of your rights to use the Software;
(e) use the Software in any manner that could damage, disable, overburden, or impair the Services (e.g., you may not use the Software in an automated manner), nor may you use Software in any manner that could interfere with any other party’s use and enjoyment of the Services;
(f) distribute, sell, sublicense, rent, lease, or use the Software (or any portion thereof) for time sharing, hosting, service provider, or like purposes;
(g) remove, obscure or alter any product identification, proprietary, copyright, trademark or other notices contained in the Software or accessed in conjunction with or through the Software; or
(h) take any action to circumvent or defeat the security or content usage rules provided (including the imagery tile quota enforcement per section 3.3.c), deployed or enforced by any functionality (including without limitation digital rights management functionality) contained in the Software.
- i) take any action to circumvent the License restrictions or modify the Subscription Period duration.
The remaining subscription period will be identified by the Software’s License Information feature (accessible from the Software’s menu). You acknowledge and agree that the subscription period begins when the subscription license is ordered and processed by the BDS license server and not when the license is activated by the user. Therefore, it is technically possible for the license to expire without ever being used.
You also acknowledge and agree that discrepancies between the timezone of the license server and the timezone of the user may result in a subscription period that is shorter or longer than the advertised period by up to 24 hours.
In addition, in connection with your use of SketchUp Make or any other version of SketchUp software provided at no charge, you may only use the Software for non-commercial purposes. Non-commercial use means you may not sell, rent, lease or lend the output of the Software or the Services. You may, however, use the Software for commercial purposes in connection with your use of SketchUp Pro or such other version of commercial SketchUp software that Trimble may designate from time-to-time.
3.1.2. Restrictions and Use of Educational Licenses
In addition to the restrictions listed in section 3.1.1 (Commercial License), the following restrictions apply to the use of Educational licenses.
- a) You may only use the Software for non-commercial purposes as defined in section 3.1.1. Non-commercial use means you may not sell, rent, lease or lend the output of the Software or the Services.
3.1.3. Restrictions and Use of Trial Licenses
In addition to the restrictions listed in section 3.1.1 (Commercial License), the following restrictions apply to the use of Trial licenses. You may not, and you may not permit anyone else to:
- a) take any action to circumvent the Trial License restrictions or modify the Trial Period duration.
The remaining trial period will be identified by the Software’s License Information feature (accessible from the Software’s menu). You acknowledge and agree that the trial period begins when the Trial license is ordered and processed by the BDS license server and not when the license is activated by the user. Therefore, it is possible for the trial license to expire without ever being used.
You also acknowledge and agree that discrepancies between the timezone of the license server and the timezone of the user may result in a trial period that is shorter or longer than the advertised trial period by up to 24 hours.
3.2. Brightman Designs Studios and Third Party Content
The Software may allow you to access and view certain content owned by BDS or its licensors (“Content”). By using the Software, you do not receive any ownership rights, and BDS and/or its licensors retain all ownership rights, in such content. You may not use, access or allow others to use or access such content in any manner not permitted under this EULA, unless you have been specifically permitted to do so by BDS or by the owner of the content in a separate agreement.
3.3. Brightman Designs Studios and Third Party Content from OpenStreetMap, Trimble and DigitalGlobe.
The Software imports data from OpenStreetMap (OSM) and DigitalGlobe and is ONLY intended to be an intermediary application importing current and existing OSM data sets and DigitalGlobe Imagery.
- a) BDS is not responsible or liable for the quality, quantity and availability of content and data imported and available through OSM and imported by the Software; this includes all 2D and 3D data related to buildings, paths, roads, trees and water, as well as future datasets that may be added. The data available at the time of import is the set data provided by OSM. Access to OSM data may be turned off or removed without notice by either OSM or BDS. BDS is not responsible or liable for maintaining access to OSM data.
- b) BDS does not guarantee access to imagery tiles. Access to imagery provided from DigitalGlobe through the Software’s import feature may be turned off and removed without notice by either DigitalGlobe or BDS. BDS is not responsible or liable for maintaining access to DigitalGlobe’s imagery.
- c) BDS imposes a quota limit on the number of imagery tiles that can be downloaded by users of the Software through the DigitalGlobe services. The tile limit quota may change (increase or decrease) without notice.
- d) Google Street View availability: BDS at any time can suspend access and remove Google Street View tools from the Software without notice. BDS is not responsible or liable for maintaining access to Google Street View imagery.
- e) Geolocation Feature: BDS is not responsible for maintaining access to the geolocation and terrain import features that may be available in Trimble SketchUp. These are services provided by Trimble and not the BDS Software.
- e) Trimble terrain / SketchUp Make: BDS is not responsible nor does BDS provide access to the terrain model as part of the Software or Services.
As a condition of downloading, installing and using the Software, you agree that your name and email address may be collected and stored in the United States or any other country in which BDS or its agents maintain facilities. Accordingly, by using the Software you consent to any transfer of such information outside of your country. BDS may use the information collected to provide the Software and related services to you and otherwise to improve the Services. You further acknowledge and agree that BDS may access, preserve, and disclose your account information if required to do so by law or in a good faith belief that such access, preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to:
(a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request;
(b) enforce this EULA, including investigation of potential violations hereof;
(c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues (including, without limitation, the filtering of spam);
(d) respond to user support requests; or
(e) protect the rights, property or safety of BDS, its users, and the public.
- PROPRIETARY RIGHTS
The Software is licensed, not sold. You acknowledge and agree that (a) the Software contains proprietary and confidential information that is protected by applicable intellectual property and other laws, and (b) BDS, it’s business partners, and its suppliers own all right, title and interest in and to the Software and any software provided through or in conjunction with the Software, including without limitation all Intellectual Property Rights therein.“Intellectual Property Rights” means any and all rights existing from time to time under patent law, copyright law, trade secret law, trademark law, and any and all other proprietary rights, and any and all applications, renewals, extensions and restorations thereof, now or hereafter in force and effect worldwide.
- EXPORT RESTRICTIONS
The Software may be subject to export controls or restrictions by the United States or other countries or territories. You agree to (i) comply with the requirements of the U.S. Department of Commerce (DOC) Export Administration Regulations (EAR) (see http://www.bis.doc.gov) and all applicable international, national, state, regional and local laws, and regulations, including without limitation any applicable import and use restrictions, (ii) not export, or re-export, directly or indirectly, the Software to any country outlined in the EAR, nor to any person or entity on the DOC Denied Persons, Entities and Unverified Lists, the U.S. Department of State’s Debarred List, or on the U.S. Department of Treasury’s lists of Specially Designated Nationals, Specially Designated Narcotics Traffickers, or Specially Designated Terrorists, (iii) not export, or re-export the Software to any military entity not approved under the EAR, or to any other entity for any military purpose, and (iv) not license, sell, provide or distribute the Software for use in connection with chemical, biological, or nuclear weapons or missiles capable of delivering such weapons.
- COMPLIANCE WITH LAWS
You agree to comply with all federal, provincial, state and local laws and regulations regarding the download, installation and/or use of the Software.
You may terminate this EULA at any time by manually deleting the Software from your computer or uninstalling the Software. Your rights automatically and immediately terminate without notice from BDS if you fail to comply with any provision of this EULA. In such event, you must immediately delete or uninstall the Software.
The provisions of Sections 5 (Proprietary Rights), 6 (Export Restrictions), 9 (Survival), 10 (Indemnity), 1 (Disclaimer of Warranties), 2 (Limitation of Liability), 11 (Exclusions and Limitations), and 12 (Miscellaneous Provisions) shall survive any termination or expiration of this EULA.
You agree to hold harmless and indemnify BDS and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, and employees from and against any claim, suit or action arising from or in any way related to your use of the Software or your violation of this EULA, including any liability or expense arising from all claims, losses, damages, suits, judgments, litigation costs and attorney’s’ fees, of every kind and nature. In such a case, BDS will provide you with written notice of such claim, suit or action.
- EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS
NOTHING IN THIS AGREEMENT IS INTENDED TO EXCLUDE OR LIMIT ANY CONDITION, WARRANTY, RIGHT OR LIABILITY WHICH MAY NOT BE LAWFULLY EXCLUDED OR LIMITED. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OR THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE, BREACH OF CONTRACT OR BREACH OF IMPLIED TERMS, OR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. ACCORDINGLY, ONLY THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS WHICH ARE LAWFUL IN YOUR JURISDICTION WILL APPLY TO YOU AND BDS’s LIABILITY WILL BE LIMITED TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
- MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS
12.1 Entire Agreement. This EULA constitutes the entire agreement between you and BDS relating to the Software and governs your use of the Software, superseding any prior or contemporaneous agreements between you and BDS regarding the Software. The official language of this EULA is English.
12.2 Choice of Law and Forum. If you obtained this Software in the United States of America, this Agreement is governed by the laws of the State of California and the United States without regard to conflicts of laws provisions thereof, and without regard to the United Nations Convention on the International Sale of Goods. In such case the jurisdiction and venue for actions related to the subject matter hereof are the State of California and United States federal courts located in Santa Clara County, California, and both parties hereby submit to the personal jurisdiction of such courts.
If you obtained this Software outside the USA, this Agreement is governed by the laws of Canada, excluding its rules governing conflicts of laws and without regard to the United Nations Convention on the International Sale of Goods.
12.3 Waiver and Severability of Terms. The failure of BDS to exercise or enforce any right or provision of this EULA shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any provision of this EULA is found by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, the parties nevertheless agree that the court should endeavor to give effect to the parties’ intentions as reflected in the provision, and the other provisions of this EULA shall remain in full force and effect.
12.4 Statute of Limitations. You agree that regardless of any statute or law to the contrary, any claim or cause of action arising out of or related to use of the Software or this EULA must be filed within one (1) year after such claim or cause of action arose or be forever barred.